Hanger Clips

Saturday, July 23, 2005

An interesting song by Tupac

Interesting song I heard yesterday on the radio, called "Changes", from "A Tribute to Tupac Shakur". I was stuck in traffic for 1.5 hours and ended up listening to a hip-hop station that was playing this song. Of course, I love the original version by Bruce Hornsby, which is a pretty incredible combination of great music and great lyrics, such as:

Standing in line marking time--
Waiting for the welfare dime
’cause they can’t buy a job
The man in the silk suit hurries by
As he catches the poor old ladies’ eyes
Just for fun he says, "get a job"

So the Tupac version keeps the same melody but uses different lyrics (with a similar message):

Come on come on
I see no changes wake up in the morning and I ask myself
is life worth living should I blast myself?
I'm tired of bein' poor & even worse I'm black
my stomach hurts so I'm lookin' for a purse to snatch
Cops give a damn about a negro
pull the trigger kill a nigga he's a hero
Give the crack to the kids who the hell cares
one less hungry mouth on the welfare
First ship 'em dope & let 'em deal the brothers
give 'em guns step back watch 'em kill each other
It's time to fight back that's what Huey said
2 shots in the dark now Huey's dead
I got love for my brother but we can never go nowhere
unless we share with each other
We gotta start makin' changes
learn to see me as a brother instead of 2 distant strangers
and that's how it's supposed to be
How can the Devil take a brother if he's close to me?
I'd love to go back to when we played as kids
but things changed, and that's the way it is

Check it out over on iTunes. I'd say it's worth 99 cents. I never thought I'd want to buy or listen to anything associated with Tupac Shakur, but what do you know. Never say never.

By the way, this doesn't necessarily mean I agree with everything he says in the song, I'm just saying it's thought provoking and musically enjoyable.

I think that "Huey" refers to Huey Newton, founder of the Black Panthers. What do you think? (I'm pretty sure he doesn't mean Huey Lewis).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home