Hanger Clips

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Relationships

So, if you've ever studied Romans before, you've probably spent a lot of time thinking about doctrine. The book is full of it. But there is a lot more there... Take a look, for example, at the last chapter, Romans 16

Now, usually I get to this part of the letters and skip over it. "Blah, blah, blah..." It's boring. Who wants to read a whole long list of personal greetings to random people? Well, one of my professors brought out a subtle but extremely thought-provoking point about these last words from Paul.

He suggested that these extensive personal greetings show an intensely personal side to Paul, a man who was deeply connected with individual people. He wasn't a "CEO-type pastor", removed from the congregations he was founding. No, Paul knew that doctrine and instruction without relationship was empty. He cultivated close personal relationships everywhere he went, and he kept track of these people, praying for them, writing to them, thinking about them.

And so the application for us to do the same. We can teach and preach and try to reach others, but without that personal relationship it's hard to really connect with someone. Of course, we can't know everyone by name, but teachers and leaders in the church should follow Paul's example and remember that excellent teaching must be supported by some kind of personal interest in the students.

This may come easy to more outgoing folks, but for me I know I struggle with this. There is a big part of me that would love to just get out there, say my thing, and then leave. But, I am realizing that it is just as important to slow down and get out of my comfort zone and try to develop and build those relationships first. Or at least, in conjunction with, my teaching.

1 Comments:

  • I fell in love with Paul after reading Walter Wangerin's Paul: a novel.

    I read it through quickly at a conference in Malta and was not too impressed. Then I read it to an elderly Scottish lady and reading it slowly made me appreciate how well written it was. And it put flesh and blood on Paul. I have not been able to read his letters the same since.

    In my sermon this past Sunday I talked about honoring each other and asked who would want to hold a banquet to welcome Paul to Rome and to honor him for his life. I had tears and had to compose myself when I responded that I would be honored to so honor him.

    I look forward to meeting Paul one day. I'll stand in line for a long time just to hear him speak.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home