Hanger Clips

Saturday, February 11, 2006

One lucky squirrel

As I was driving down our street today a squirrel darted out into the middle of the road, faked left, faked right, and then sprinted back the way he came and shot up a tree. It all happened so quickly I barely had time to break or anything. It was one hyper squirrel.

But, that got me thinking. You know, I think I sometimes I am a bit like that squirrel. No, I haven't run out into the middle of the street recently. And no, I don't forage for nuts. And no, I am not usually quite *that* jittery. (While I may like my coffee, I am a far cry from the woman who came into Starbucks when I was studying the other day and ordered a FIVE-SHOT AMERICANO. Wow. That's like taking crack or something. She might seriously be able to out-fake the squirrel. But, I digress.)

No, I am talking metaphorically, or symbolically, or analagously. You learned teacher-types out there can correct my mis-use of technical terms at the end.

Anyway, I was thinking about how big and amazingly patient God is. All through the Bible, especially in Psalms, we hear about how God is “slow to anger.” Way back when he makes his covenant with Moses, in Exodus, it says:

“The LORD, the LORD, a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness” (Ex 34:6)

I am so thankful for that slowness. Meanwhile, I am more like that squirrel, racing around, darting back and forth, never in one place long enough to take in the fullness of God’s glory. I race forward in faith out towards some goal, then suddenly get distracted by something and dart off over there, then I see some sort of danger or threat headed straight at me and I react instantly, darting off in another direction, only to realize that I’m over-compensating, and so then I turn back again, narrowly avoiding whatever threat was there and ending up back where I started, only now I can’t remember why I stepped out in faith to begin with.

And all the while I imagine that God is sitting over on the other side of the street saying, “whoa, hey, slow down there, just… no, wait, I… come back… ok, great, now, as I was saying… wait, come back…watch out for that… no not that way… sigh. OK. Wait. Stop. STOP.”

STOP.

STOP.

STOP.

“Be still, and know that I am God.” (Psalms 46:10)

I think “stillness” is a spiritual discipline that has to become a greater priority for me this year, before some big semi flattens me on the gritty asphalt of life.

1 Comments:

  • a wonderful reminder. thanks

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home