Hanger Clips

Monday, December 12, 2005

Sin

I have 2 young kids. We live in a fallen world. We are sinners from birth. How do I teach them about sin without it becoming legalism?

It's easy right now - I just say, "Don't touch that!" or "Stop hitting your sister!" and then there are consequences for not listening or disobeying.

What happens when they start asking me why it is wrong?

"Because you will be punished"
"Because it's not nice"
"Because society doesn't condone that osrt of behavior"
"Because I say so"
"Because God says so"
"Because it may have unforseen consequences later on down the road"
"Because the Bible says we shouldn't"
"Because my church says we shouldn't"

I don't think any of these communicate with the heart.

I have all sorts of fancy intellectual arguments I can spring for them. And I can turn to my reference books on systematic theology and have them read pages and pages about God's holiness and our sinfulness.

But, how in the world do I reach their hearts?

How do I convey to them the idea that sin is more than a long list of "thou shall nots"?

3 Comments:

  • Dear Trailblazer,

    First off, let me know what the answer is to this one. I'm a few steps behind you, so I certainly don't know anything. Justus is just now getting to the point where he cries when his mom or I takes something away from him. I don't particularly care for that. He's getting a little will. And it's not always cute.

    I was listening to Andy Stanley's "Parental Guidance Required" sermon series, and he says that the key is to use your authority when they're little, but that when they're older, like 11-13, you have to switch to relationship mode so that you have influence over their decisions. Because your authority then doesn't come from the fact that you're bigger, but that they respect you.

    Seems like every expert agrees that long conversations and lots of time spent go a long way.

    This, of course, relates to the topic in now way. I just thought it was interesting. Ummm...I have to go now.

    By Blogger David Tieche, at 10:51 PM  

  • Sin is not what we do, it is who we are. It is not up to you to teach your kids about sin, that comes pretty naturaly. One of the gifts God gives is conviction of sin and it comes after the gift of an awareness of his grandeur and love.

    So I think you need to seperate the two. It is up to you to teach your kids how to behave. A parent shapes his/her children so they function well in society. A parent models their own life with God.

    Kids pick this up very well.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:45 PM  

  • Uncle- whoever you are- you are exactly right- and it's so nice to know that God will do his work in our children- it's not entirely our job. Well said and thanks for the comment

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home