Hanger Clips

Monday, July 25, 2005

You can't have church without a waterfall

The cynical part of me really finds this disturbing:

Lakewood Church opens

Honestly, it's astonishing to me that a church could take over a sports arena. That's amazing growth. I guess that's good. I think. I mean, more people coming to Christ is a great thing. And there's some enormous potential for growth and development and outreach etc. But then again, that's almost too many people. And what kind of impact are they really having on their community? Like the article says, in a supersize society it's no surprise we have supersized church also.

And waterfalls? In church? I'm sure it's beautiful and tasteful etc. but aren't those more appropriate for a mall or a hotel lobby or something? I wish I could find a photo online somewhere but no luck yet.

But all that said, I can't rip on them too much since just yesterday morning I was reading Philippians 1:15-18:

It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill. The latter do so in love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains. But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice.

I am looking forward to studying this passage in more depth this fall because if you think about it, it's kind of confusing. Is Paul really saying that it's ok if some guy is preaching Christ because he wants more money and power and prestige?

1 Comments:

  • I know a few people who have trouble with this guy Osteen's philosophy. I was talking to my buddy Eric about him, and he's seen him quite a few times. He says that he likes him, but has this aura about him that "everything is going to be fine."

    "What good does that do a hurting world, to tell them everything is going to be fine," Eric ranted. "Look in your Bible. Jesus says, 'Uhh, you're going to suffer in this life.' There's no escaping that."

    He has a point.

    And besides, don't go chasing waterfalls. Stick to the rivers and the lakes that you're used to.

    By Blogger David Tieche, at 5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home