Hanger Clips

Monday, February 27, 2006

Made in China

Is it at all weird that my Bible is made in China?

Sure, it sometimes seems as if everything I own or use is made in China. But there seems to me to be a huge disjoint when it comes to Bibles, considering the sort of religious persecution that Christians frequently endure in China.

Don’t people try to smuggle Bibles in to China?

Yeah, yeah, I know, those are Chinese Bibles, not English Bibles. But still, on some level it just seems odd.

American companies pay Chinese companies to print, bind and ship English Bibles to America. Meanwhile, various ministry organizations here in America raise funds to try to smuggle Chinese Bibles into China.

Where are the Chinese Bibles printed? America? Europe? China? Are Chinese Bibles printed in China, shipped here, and then smuggled back into China?

What is it like working at the factory that prints and binds the Bibles

What do the workers think?

I suppose it’s doubtful they can read the text any more than I could read a Chinese Bible, but they must know it’s different than the other books they print. Or maybe they don’t know. Or maybe don’t care. Shoes, books, cars, Bibles. Whatever. One manufactured item is just like any other.

I think I think too much sometimes.

2 Comments:

  • You can buy a Bible(Chinese or English version) for $1.5 in China at any church. I got two for free when I gone to a church last time with my girl friend. But i'm not a Christian so I never bother to read them. And I have never heard about "religious persecution" on any Christian or other ridiculous things like "smuggle Bibles into China". Be a Christian is legit in China, but Falun Gong(spell?) is not.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:57 AM  

  • wow, this is really interesting - not sure if u know, but what you are touching on is called Commodity Fetishism - im an undergrad geography student in birmingham, and im writing a journal on how my bible is a commodity and tracing where and how it is made! i will probably include your thoughts in my journal if I may!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home