Hanger Clips

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Wisdom from our Elders

I am in the middle of working on a paper, but I had to post on this topic.

I heard a story on NPR this morning that I thought was just amazing. It's about an organization called the Elder Wisdom Circle. In short is a large group of people over 60 who pool their experience to offer advice to us "young 'uns". Now, this is NOT about empty paternalistic platitudes or endless reminiscences about "the way things used to be". Rather, it is an opportunity for younger people, or, actually, anyone, to ask older folks for advice, and to seek their wisdom in issues they are struggling with. It's sort of like a giant "Dear Abby" advice column, but with more meat. In a world that criminally devalues the importance of age, wisdom, and experience, I think this is a fantastic idea and I hope that it continues to be successful.

You can hear the NPR story here:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5197122

And the official website is here:

http://www.elderwisdomcircle.org/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home